Monday, December 6, 2010

When did it get to be December?

This past week was pretty uneventful as far as class goes. Finals are approaching and everyone knows it, but no surprises. Tuesday my Egyptian Colloquial class took a trip to al-Azhar park in Islamic Cairo, which was nice, the park was pretty. We got to meet my professor's 2-year-old daughter, who is PRECIOUS, and we had conversation with some Egyptian women and some special needs kids, all in Arabic, of course. So that was cool. On the way home a bunch of us grabbed some koshary from the most famous koshary place in all of Cairo, Abu Tarek. The place that Anthony Bourdain went, for those of you who watch that show at all. I thought it was certainly not the best I'd ever had, and it was rather pricey by koshary standards. It was still cool to walk in and think "Hey, Anthony Bourdain was here. Right there, at that table."
This weekend my friends/ roommates-to-be were planning to do some apartment hunting, but we never actually did any calling. we did narrow down where we want to live, a neighborhood named Dokki, the far side of the river from downtown (so slightly farther from school) but only one bridge from the island of Zamalek, probably a 5LE cab ride. Also, Dokki has a convenient metro stop, which means I could get downtown (or considerably farther) for 1LE!
I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but I'm living with my friends Tamera and Matt, who go to UC Davis and UWashington, respectively. If I'm not careful I'll be saying hella rather frequently by year's end. Our maximum budget of about 5000 LE (which is more than we'll pay, I'm sure, unless our place is AMAZING) per month for a 3br will bring us in at about $500 less for the semester than would living in dorms. I really need to get planning what I'm doing for vacations this vacation, because I need to get out of this country, which means I need to buy plane tickets.
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S DECEMBER. All of my friends are leaving in less than 3 weeks! =(

No comments:

Post a Comment