Monday, July 2, 2012

Work-ity work work

I'm going to try to make a point of talking a bit more about work, seeing as that is what I do with the majority of my time here.
My job is pretty great, but it is exhausting. I catch the bus every day at 8:40, have 1-2 before-school classes starting at 9:30, then regular classes from 10:50 to 12:05 and 1:00 to 2:15. Then and after school class on Monday and Wednesday.
Then I clean my room (sweep and wipe desks daily, mop twice a week), sharpen pencils, and/or laminate stuff or make worksheets/prepare for the next day's classes. Then I go home at 4:30.
It's about a 25 minute walk home, which wasn't so bad when the weather was nice but lately it's just too g**d*** hot. So when I can, I skip out 5 minutes early to catch the bus (which only runs once an hour) at 4:25. If I miss it (and sometimes when it's not too hot), it's a hot sticky walk home.
My regular classes are not much fun. It's generally me trying to get kids to recite sentences from a story that they pretty much have to memorize. They have five weeks to learn the story and complete three (small) textbooks, two based on the story and a third on phonics.
My special (before- and after-school) classes are the more interesting ones. Last month, we had a loose focus on the outdoors and spring and summer. We did a story on spring, a week where we learned about playground stuff and then went outside, a story on rain/playing in puddles, a day of review and then we went outside again (I was trying to get them outside before the weather gets too hot). This month there's kinda a hodgepodge of stuff. This week we're working on reading. Which kinda sucks for everyone involved but it's an important skill. Which reminds me I need to make the worksheet for the 5-year-olds. Grr. Next week we're doing verbs and playing a game with balls and learning verbs. Then we're gonna learn some vocabulary about snack time and make Chex mix. That should be a fun class.
I enjoy my special classes because they're the only thing I really get a say in, the regular classes I really just have to teach the book. Which is easy, but I don't feel like much of a teacher.
I also have to come up with activities for 'camp:' two days before summer vacation and two days after. It's really just supposed to be games and activities because it's off-book and 'camp'-y, but I have no idea what to do. it's just two days, 25 minutes each day. all the other subjects are doing cool stuff like making food and doing art stuff, so I want to make mine interesting.
Look at me! Keeping my blog updated! woo! Hopefully see y'all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment