Friday, February 3, 2012

Disheartened but Still Hopeful

When I left Cairo a year ago, I was disappointed that I had to leave but I was willing to accept a small setback in my life because it could have meant so many amazing things for the lives of millions of Egyptians. But now I am just disappointed; in the year since I left, I have not seen the change that I had so much hope for, crying in front of my laptop at the news of Mubarak's resignation from the safety of my mother's house in Maine. That hope is still strong, I would say it is stronger with me than with many of my friends wh were not there, but I am disappointed.
The new constitution is being written under military rule, presidential elections are impossibly far away even still. This site (I love Al-Jazeera)has a nice little graphic of what's actually been accomplished since the revolution, and it's disheartening, but I have seen what Egyptians can do with my own eyes, and I think it is important that we not let the revolution become a thing of the past in our minds: it is still ongoing. If we forget that, this revolution, touted as the figurehead of the Arab Spring, will not usher in a new age of democracy in the Middle East but rather a transition from one authoritarian regime to another, but this time those in charge can claim that they are what the people want, since they were brought to power by the revolution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment